Acceptable Use of Technology
Kimberly Area School District
Acceptable Use of Technology Resources
The information technology resources of the Kimberly Area School District including email and Internet access, are provided for educational purposes. Adherence to the following policy is required for continued access to the school's technological resources:
Students are expected to:
Respect and protect the privacy of others.
- Use only assigned accounts
- Not view, use, or copy passwords, data, or networks to which they are not authorized
- Not distribute private information about others or themselves
Respect and protect the integrity, availability, and security of all electronic resources.
- Observe all network security practices
- Report security risks or violations to a staff member or network administrator
- Not destroy or damage data, networks, or other resources that do not belong to them, without clear permission of the owner
- Conserve, protect, and share these resources with other students and Internet users
Respect and protect the intellectual property of others.
- Follow all copyright law; i.e. do not make illegal copies of music, games, or movies
- Not plagiarize
Respect and practice our community values.
- Communicate only in ways that are kind and respectful
- Report threatening or discomforting materials to a staff member
- Not intentionally access, transmit, copy, or create material that violates the school's code of conduct (such as messages that are pornographic, threatening, rude, discriminatory, or meant to harass or bully)
- Not intentionally access, transmit, copy, or create material that is illegal (such as obscenity, stolen materials, or illegal copies of copyrighted works)
- Not use the resources to further other acts that are criminal or violate the school's code of conduct
- Not send spam, chain letters, or other mass unsolicited mailings.
- Not buy, sell, advertise, or otherwise conduct business, unless approved as a school project
Students may, if in accord with the policy above
- Design and post content related to their education.
- Use direct communications such as online chat, texting or instant messaging with a teacher's permission.
- Use any personal communication device before/after school, during passing periods and lunch periods. They may also be used in classrooms at the direction of the instructor.
- Use the resources for educational purpose only.
Consequences for Violation. Violations of these rules may result in disciplinary action, including the loss of a student's privileges to use the school's information technology resources.
Supervision and Monitoring. School and network administrators and their authorized employees monitor the use of information technology resources to help ensure that uses are secure and in conformity with this policy. Any personal device connecting to the KASD wireless or wired network will be scanned to make sure it adheres to basic security standards. Administrators reserve the right to examine, use, and disclose any data found on the school's information networks in order to further the health, safety, discipline, or security of any student or other person, or to protect property. They may also use this information in disciplinary actions and will furnish evidence of crime to law enforcement.
The parents and/or guardians of any student bringing personal technology to school agree to be responsible for and to reimburse Kimberly Area Schools for any damage that their student may cause arising out of and relating to the use of the KASD Wireless Network with his/her personally-owned device. In addition parents and/or guardians of any student causing physical damage to school district owned equipment agree to reimburse the Kimberly Area School District for repairs or replacement.
The Kimberly Area School District makes no warranties of any kind, neither expressed nor implied, for the Internet access it is providing. The District will not be responsible for any damages users suffer, including--but not limited to--loss of data resulting from delays or interruptions in service. The District will not be responsible for the accuracy, nature, or quality of information stored on District storage devices, hard drives, or servers; nor for the accuracy, nature, or quality of information gathered through District-provided Internet access. The District will not be responsible for personal property used to access District computers or networks or for District-provided Internet access. The District will not be responsible for unauthorized financial obligations resulting from District-provided access to the Internet.
I ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THESE EXPECTATIONS:
Student Signature and Date
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
PARENTS, PLEASE DISCUSS THESE RULES WITH YOUR STUDENT TO ENSURE UNDERSTANDING
THESE RULES ALSO PROVIDE A GOOD FRAMEWORK FOR YOUR STUDENT'S USE OF COMPUTERS AT HOME, AT LIBRARIES, OR ANYWHERE.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, SEE www.cybercrime.gov