There were 32 students from Mapleview Intermediate School who participated along with special guests: Principal Nate, Officer Stahmann and Sarah Wright with Safe Kids Fox Valley. The group met at Verhagen Park and finished the ride to school together.
Safe Routes to School provided prizes such as helmets, shirts, subway gift cards and several bike accessories.
(Thank you Amber Jochimsen, Assistant Principal, for sharing your photos!)
As the weather starts to warm up and more people dust off their bikes, it's a good time for cycling safety reminders:
• Always wear a helmet that is fitted and secured properly
• Check your equipment – ensure tires are inflated and brakes work
• Choose the safest route to school – look for streets with minimal traffic, lower speeds, paths or bike lanes, limit the number of street crossings and avoid busy or high speed streets and crossings
• Children need to know the rules of the road: Ride single file on the right side of the road, come to a complete stop before crossing the street and walk the bike across
• Watch for opening car doors and other hazards
• Use hand signals when turning
• Wear bright-colored clothing