Alcohol, Drug & Vaping Awareness
There are several proactive student groups and activities that promote alcohol and drug-free activities. They plan activities that encourage students to socialize and celebrate important life events, like prom and graduation, in settings free from drugs or alcohol.
- Kimberly High School: Life-Force, Graduation Celebration and Post Prom
- J.R. Gerritts Middle School: JRG ROCKS (Recognizing our Committed Kids)
Concerns about Vaping, JUULs and other e-cigarettes
This is not a photo of USB flash drives. This device is a JUUL, the most popular type of e-cigarette, and it is causing concerns in our community. Not only are the devices designed to be discreet, the “juice” used in these products often contains nicotine yet it is marketed in fruity or appealing flavors. Here are a few resources on these e-cigarettes and tips on how to talk to your teen about them:
- Surgeon General’s website on e-cigarettes
- Stanford Tobacco Prevention Toolkit
- Risks of E-cigarette Fact Sheet
- Tip sheet - Talk with Your Teen About e-cigarettes
- National Institute on Drug Abuse fact sheet
- FDA “The Real Cost” Campaign on the Dangers of e-cigarettes
- FDA Vaporizers, E-Cigarettes, and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Contact your school nurse for further resources about the dangers e-cigarettes.
Alcohol & Drug Awareness Resources
Support Alcohol & Drug Awareness
- Proceeds from the District’s FORE! Our Kids Golf Outing make these groups and activities possible.
Parents Who Host Lose the Most
One of the biggest problems that students cite in using alcohol and drugs is parents hosting parties or condoning use in their homes. This is where we need your help - to support the national campaign "Parents Who Host Lose the Most" in our community.
The campaign runs in the spring for Prom and Graduation celebrations. Show your support of this initiative by placing a "Parents Who Host Lose The Most" sign in your yard.
Signs are available at the:
- Kimberly High School Main Office
- J.R. Gerritts Middle School Main Office
- District's Administration Office
Please join us to help keep students safe in our community.